Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Proposal

I feel a little bad picking on Sandra Bullock because it is really cool to finally see an older woman paired with a younger man. But she's really starting to look like Cher. I don't understand plastic surgery. I'm guessing if it looks good you don't notice it, but it sticks out like bad CGI to me. Does anyone look good with collagen lips? No really, do they? Because women keep doing it and it keeps looking really awful.

But anyway, I went to The Proposal because it's my last day without the kiddos, and I love going to the movies (but not so much romantic comedies; I'd seen everything else except Transformers, which I know The Boy will want to see and I'm pretty sure I won't want to watch it twice), and I like looking at Ryan Reynolds (he's a lantern!) almost as much as I like looking at Sitka. It's one of those places where no amount of hype can prepare you for the beauty. Apparently Rockport, Mass., is also really pretty, but I figured they'd have a few Alaska shots in there.

If I'd known Betty White was in it I probably would have watched Public Enemies again instead (the soundtrack is freaking phenomenal) since she has gone from someone I think is passibly funny to someone who will be horribly offensive and it's supposed to be ok because she's an old woman. And I was definitely offended when she showed up in a button blanket chanting along to a tape of Indian drums. Especially after she said her ancestors were Tlingit. I know, Hollywood Alaska.

But they did get some things spot on, like the zip-up, husky sweater Sandra Bullock puts on after (of course) getting dumped in the ocean. That thing says Alaska old timer like a cream-colored version says Starsky and Hutch. It's such a weird detail to get right.

No comments:

Post a Comment