Friday, August 28, 2009

Dear Gov. Culver

I am writing you today to plead for your assistance with my son's hawk-i coverage. Because of a state rule, coverage can only begin on the first of the month and since my previous coverage ended on Aug. 3, my son is uninsured for most of August.

I gathered from the hawk-i website that if my application was accepted, insurance would start on the date I applied, which I did in July, as soon as I found out my new job's insurance would only cover me.

Hawk-i needed a letter from my previous insurance company saying when my coverage ended, and after a week and a half of daily phone calls, I managed to get the paperwork hawk-i needed. In doing so, I negated any opportunity to continue my old insurance for the month of August.

Had anyone at hawk-i, at any time through this process, informed me there was no way they would cover my son for the month of August anyway, I never would have taken this step.

Two days ago, I finally got the paperwork from my previous insurance and forwarded it to hawk-i.

Yesterday, my son was hit by a car.

It was a no-fault accident and he only suffered bumps and bruises, but he was transported to the hospital by ambulance, and was treated in the ER.

I am a single mother. I've been laid off four times in the last year. Through this, I managed to maintain my credit, pay my rent and support my family.

But this hospital bill will make all my hard work for nothing. I finally have a wonderful job in my field, and a chance to get back on my feet.

I believe hawk-i was created especially for the purpose of supporting families like mine, and I beg you to reconsider this arbitrary rule. I expect this sort of run around from regular insurance companies, but not from a state program.

No one's life conforms to exact dates, and it's ridiculous to have children uninsured because they lose insurance on any day that isn't the first of the month.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment